Claude de France
|born on||13 October 1499 Jul.Cal. (22 Oct 1499 greg.) at 20:54 (= 8:54 PM )|
|Place||Romorantin Lanthenay, France, 47n22, 1e45|
|Timezone||LMT m1e45 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||29°12' 27°10 Asc. 11°00'|
French royalty, queen consort of France and duchess regnant of Brittany. She was the eldest daughter of Louis XII of France and Anne of Brittany, as well as the first spouse of Francis I of France.
Queen Claude was named after Claudius of Besançon, a saint her mother had invoked during a pilgrimage so she could give birth to a living child.
In 1514, when her mother died, Claude became Duchess of Brittany; and on 18 May 1514, at Saint-Germain-en-Laye, she married Francis, Duke of Angoulême.
Claude, the pawn of so much dynastic maneuvering, was short in stature and afflicted with scoliosis, which gave her a hunched back. She was eclipsed at court by her mother-in-law, Louise of Savoy, and her sister-in-law, the literary Navarrese queen Margaret of Angoulême.
Claude and Francis I had seven children, two of whom lived past the age of thirty: Louise (19 August 1515 – 21 September 1517) - died young, engaged to Charles I of Spain almost from birth until death; Charlotte (23 October 1516 – 8 September 1524) - died young, engaged to Charles I of Spain from 1518 until death; Francis (28 February 1518 – 10 August 1536), who succeeded Claude as Duke of Brittany, but died unmarried and childless; Henry (31 March 1519 – 10 July 1559), who succeeded Francis I as King of France and married Catherine de' Medici, by whom he had issue; Madeleine (10 August 1520 – 2 July 1537), who married James V of Scotland and had no issue; Charles (22 January 1522 – 9 September 1545), who died unmarried and childless; and Margaret of France, Duchess of Berry (5 June 1523 – 14 September 1574), who married Emmanuel Philibert, Duke of Savoy, in 1559 and had issue.
Claude of France died on 20 July 1524.
- parent->child relationship with Charlotte, Princess of France (born 23 October 1516 Jul.Cal. (2 Nov 1516 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with François III, Duke of Brittany (born 28 February 1518 Jul.Cal. (10 Mar 1518 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Henri II, King of France (born 31 March 1519 Jul.Cal. (10 Apr 1519 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Louise, Princess of France (1515) (born 19 August 1515 Jul.Cal. (29 Aug 1515 greg.))
- child->parent relationship with Anne of Brittany (born 26 January 1476 Jul.Cal. (4 Feb 1476 greg.))
- child->parent relationship with Louis XII, King of France (born 27 June 1462 Jul.Cal. (6 July 1462 greg.))
- spouse relationship with François I, King of France (born 12 September 1494 Jul.Cal. (21 Sep 1494 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Renée de France (born 29 October 1510 Jul.Cal. (8 Nov 1510 greg.))
Sy Scholfield quotes "Annales de la monarchie française" by Henri-Philippe de Limiers (L'Honoré et Chatelain, 1724), p. 72: "née à Romorantin le 13 Octobre 1499 à 8 heures 54 minutes du soir;" same data in "Histoire de la Maison Royale de France, et des grands officiers de la Couronne" by Anselme de Sainte-Marie, Ange de Sainte-Rosalie (libr. associés, 1726), p. 128.
- Family : Relationship : Mate - Noted (Francis I, Emperor of France)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Valois-Orléans)