|Birthname||Elizabeth Diane Cilento|
|born on||2 April 1932 at 01:30 (= 01:30 AM )|
|Place||Brisbane, Australia, 27s28, 153e02|
|Timezone||AEST h10e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||11°41' 23°03 Asc. 12°05'|
Australian actress, director and writer, married at one-time to actor Sean Connery and the mother of their son, actor Jason Connery. A follower of Sufism, Cilento currently runs the open-air Karnak Playhouse which she built with her third husband, the late Tony Shaffer, in a rainforest sanctuary in Far North Queensland.
A gorgeous blonde, Cilento was memorable as Molly in "Tom Jones," 1963, which won her a Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination and the tart with a heart of gold in "Rattle of a Simple Man," 1964.
Her first husband was Andrea Volpe, married on 2/12/1955 in London and her second husband Sean Connery on 11/30/1962, La Linea Gilbrater; they separated in 1970 and divorced the following year. She and Anthony Shaffer married in 1985 until his death on 11/06/2001. She has a daughter, Giovanna Margaret Volpe, born 1957 and a son, Jason Joseph Conner, born 1963.
One of six kids born to Lady Phyllis and Sir Raphael Cilento, both eminent doctors, Diana studied violin and ballet as a youngster. Aiming for a career in dramatic arts, she left home for the U.S. on 4/02/1948 and arrived in Boston on 5/29/1948. In New York, she studied with a number of teachers. Young Diane was impetuous, passionate, dramatic. Her early life was marked by intense peaks of emotion: her elopement with a romantic Italian at the age of 23, a nervous breakdown and suicide attempt, and twice fleeing marriages without warning.
After a period back in Australia, she located in England for a lead role in "Dead on Course," 1951. Her successful stage career included Broadway in the U.S., but she had only a few substantial films. In the year 1956, her celebrity reached its height with her husband Sean Connery as James Bond attracting feverish attention the world over.
Seeking inner answers to her life, Diane began going to philosophical and meditation classes with a group of people whom she described as `bizarre.' For a year she studied under John Godolphin (J.G.) Bennett, an English mystic and teacher (1897-1974). Bennett utilized ideas from Sufism in his teachings, mysticism that is described as the search for direct personal experience of the divine.
Cilento turned to writing in the late 1960s, publishing her
first novel, "The Manipulator," in 1967. After working in England as a stage director in the '70s, she moved back to her native Australia in the ‘80s, where she appeared in an occasional film role, but has devoted most of her attention to the Karnak Theater Company, an open-air venue in Queensland.
She died October 7, 2011 in Queensland, Australia
- child relationship with Connery, Jason (born 11 January 1963)
- spouse relationship with Connery, Sean (born 25 August 1930)
- Relationship : Marriage 12 February 1955 at 12:00 noon in London, England (First marriage, Andrea Volpe)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 1957 (Daughter Giovanna Margaret)
- Family : Change in family responsibilities 1963 (Son Jason Joseph born)
- Work : Gain social status 1963 (Appearance in "Tom Jones")
- Work : Gain social status 1964 (Best Supporting Actress Oscar nomination)
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 1967 (Published her first book)
- Relationship : Marriage 1985 (Third marriage Anthony Shaffer, 16 years)
Sy Scholfield quotes Folder 35 in Box 13 of the Sir Raphael Cilento manuscript collection at the University of Queensland in Brisbane (UQFL44) which contains a family tree diagram made by her father that states: "Elizabeth Diane, b. 2nd Apr. 1932. At Brisbane, Qld. (Sat. 1.30
a.m.)." Same date and place of birth given in her mother's autobiography, "My Life," (by Lady Phyllis Cilento, North Ryde, NSW: Methuen Haynes, 1987).
(Note: Cilento's DoB is often wrongly given as 5 October 1933 (for example in the Internet Movie Database).
- Traits : Body : Appearance gorgeous
- Traits : Body : Hair (Blonde)
- Traits : Personality : Emotional (Passionate youth)
- Diagnoses : Psychological : Nervous Breakdown
- Family : Childhood : Advantaged (Both parents doctors)
- Family : Childhood : Family large (Six kids)
- Family : Relationship : Marriage more than 15 Yrs (Third marriage 16 years)
- Family : Relationship : Mate - Noted (Second husband, Sean Connery)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Three)
- Family : Relationship : Widowed (Anthony, third husband)
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (Two, one girl and one boy)
- Lifestyle : Home : Expatriate (Australia to England to Australia)
- Personal : Death : Suicide Attempt (While young)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress (Film)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Live Stage (Legitimate theatre)
- Vocation : Entertain/Business : Director
- Vocation : Entertain/Business : Production jobs (Open-air theatre in Queensland)
- Vocation : Writers : Fiction (Novel)