Christian von Brandenburg-Bayreuth
|born on||30 January 1581 Jul.Cal. (9 Feb 1581 greg.) at 16:20 (= 4:20 PM )|
|Place||Berlin, Germany, 52n29, 13e21|
|Timezone||LMT m13e21 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||20°53' 24°26 Asc. 14°41'|
German nobleman, a member of the House of Hohenzollern and Margrave of Brandenburg-Kulmbach (later renamed Brandenburg-Bayreuth).
He was the eldest of eleven children born to John George, Elector of Brandenburg by his third wife Princess Elisabeth of Anhalt-Zerbst.
The death of the childless George Frederick the Elder in 1603 marked the extinction of the original Franconian line of the Margraves of Brandenburg-Ansbach-Kulmbach. Christian inherited Kulmbach and his younger brother Joachim Ernst received Ansbach.
This land partition had already been legitimized in 1598 by the House Treaty of Gera, which was prepared for this purpose. Christian's assumption of the government of Kulmbach took place at the same time as that of Joachim Ernst in Ansbach. In 1604 Christian moved the seat of power from Kulmbach to Bayreuth and Plassenburg, however Kulmbach was retained as a regional fortress. From that moment, the principality changed its name from Brandenburg-Kulmbach to Brandenburg-Bayreuth.
In 1606 Christian was elected Colonel (German: Kreisobrist) of the Franconian Circle. He was also one of the founders of the Protestant Union and formed an alliance during the Thirty Years' War with Sweden. Emperor Ferdinand II tried to depose him as ruler of Bayreuth in 1635; however, he continued in office.
He died in Bayreuth on 30 May 1655.
In Plassenburg on 29 April 1604, Christian married Marie, daughter of Albert Frederick, Duke of Prussia. They had nine children: Elisabeth Eleonore (b. Plassenburg, 19 October 1606 – d. Plassenburg, 20 October 1606); Georg Frederick (b. and d. Kulmbach, 23 March 1608); Anna Maria (b. Bayreuth, 30 December 1609 – d. Ödenburg, 8 May 1680), married on 23 October 1639 to Prince Johann Anton I von Eggenberg; Agnes Sophie (b. Bayreuth, 19 July 1611 – d. Bayreuth, 1 December 1611); Magdalene Sibylle (b. Bayreuth, 27 October 1612 – d. Dresden, 20 March 1687), married on 13 November 1638 to Elector John George II of Saxony; Christian Ernst (b. Bayreuth, 18 November 1613 – d. Bayreuth, 4 February 1614); Erdmann August (b. Bayreuth, 8 October 1615 – d. Hof, 6 February 1651), Hereditary Margrave (German: Erbmarkgraf) of Brandenburg-Bayreuth; Georg Albrecht (b. Bayreuth, 20 March 1619 – d. Schretz, 27 September 1666), inherited Kulmbach but never reigned; and Frederick Wilhelm (b. Bayreuth, 11 May 1620 – d. Bayreuth, 12 May 1620).
- parent->child relationship with Erdmann August, Margrave of Brandenburg-Bayreuth (born 28 September 1615 Jul.Cal. (8 Oct 1615 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Georg Albrecht, Margrave of Brandenburg-Bayreuth (born 10 March 1619 Jul.Cal. (20 Mar 1619 greg.))
- parent->child relationship with Magdalena Sibylla, Electress of Saxony (born 27 October 1612 Jul.Cal. (6 Nov 1612 greg.))
- child->parent relationship with Elisabeth von Anhalt-Zerbst (born 15 September 1563 Jul.Cal. (25 Sep 1563 greg.))
- child->parent relationship with Johann Georg, Elector of Brandenburg (born 11 September 1525 Jul.Cal. (21 Sep 1525 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Agnes von Brandenburg, Duchess of Pomerania (born 17 July 1584 (greg.))
- sibling relationship with Dorothea Sibylle von Brandenburg (born 9 October 1590 Jul.Cal. (19 Oct 1590 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Elisabeth Sophie von Brandenburg (born 4 July 1589 Jul.Cal. (14 July 1589 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Friedrich IX von Brandenburg (born 22 March 1588 Jul.Cal. (1 Apr 1588 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Georg Albrecht von Brandenburg (born 20 November 1591 Jul.Cal. (30 Nov 1591 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Joachim Ernst von Brandenburg-Ansbach (born 12 June 1583 Jul.Cal. (22 June 1583 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Joachim Friedrich von Brandenburg (born 27 January 1546 Jul.Cal. (6 Feb 1546 greg.)). Notes: half-sibling
- sibling relationship with Magdalena von Brandenburg (born 7 January 1582 Jul.Cal. (17 Jan 1582 greg.))
- sibling relationship with Sophie von Brandenburg (born 6 June 1568 Jul.Cal. (16 June 1568 greg.)). Notes: half-sibling
Sy Scholfield quotes from "Les vies des Electeurs de Brandenbourg de la maison des burgraves de Nurenberg, avec leurs portraits et leurs généalogies" by Jean Cernitius and Antoine Teissier (J.M. Rudiger, 1707), p. 64: "151. 30. Janv. à 4. heures 20. minutes après midy, Le Lundi après la Conversion de S. Paul." Note: 30/1/1581 OS was indeed a Monday.
Scholfield also quotes from the chronicle of events in "Allgemeine preussische staats-geschichte, samt aller dazu gehörigen königreichs, churfürstenthums, herzogthümer, fürstenthümer, graf- und herrschaften, aus bewährten schriftstellern und urkunden bis auf gegenwärtige regierung," Volumes 3-4, by Karl Friedrich Pauli (C. P. Francken, 1762), p. 296: "Christian, geboren zu Berlin 1581 den 30ten Jan. Abends zwischen 4 und 5 Uhr." [Translation: Christian, born in Berlin in 1581 on Jan. 30th in the evening between 4 and 5 o'clock.]
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (House of Hohenzollern)