|Birthname||Ray Charles Robinson|
|born on||23 September 1930|
|Place||Albany, Georgia (US), 31n35, 84w09|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
American musician, a singer, composer and pianist, a 12-time Grammy winner. Blind from age six, assumed from glaucoma, he was orphaned at 15 when his mother died in 1945. He attended a school in which the black and white kids were segregated in spite of the fact that they could not see each other's skin color. He remembered his mom's voice, "You're blind, you ain't dumb. You lost your sight, not your mind," and he learned to do everything for himself, including walking the streets of New York. An R&B singer among the finest, he was an outstanding performer and recording artist.
Charles moved to Los Angeles in 1950 and began his professional recording career, signing his contract with Atlantic Records in 1952. In 1954, he formed his own band and a year later topped the charts for a single in the R&B category. His long career, in which he fused rhythm and blues, gospel, rock, and jazz brought many rewards and awards.
In 1964 he was arrested on heroin charges and he checked into a rehab center in California. Despite his blindness, he loved playing chess.
Charles had three marriages; twelve kids with as many as seven women. In December 2003, he underwent hip replacement surgery, after which he was diagnosed with acute liver disease.
The much-acclaimed musician died at age 73 on Thursday, June 10, 2004 at 11:35 AM local time in Beverly Hills, California, his publicist said. The cause was of complications from liver disease.
- associate relationship with Hogan, G. T. (born 16 January 1929). Notes: music partnership
- associate relationship with Newman, David "Fathead" (born 24 February 1933). Notes: music partnership
- business associate/partner relationship with Matthews, Onzy (born 15 January 1930)
- other associate with DeBlanc, Damita Jo (born 5 August 1930). Notes: music partnership
- Health : Medical diagnosis 1936 (Glaucoma)
- Death of Mother 1946 (he was orphaned at 15)
- Family : Change residence 1950 (moved to Los Angeles)
- Work : Contracts, agreements 1952 (signed with Atlantic Records)
- Social : Institutionalized - prison, hospital 1964 (entered rehab for heroin use)
- Death by Disease 10 June 2004 at 11:35 AM in Beverly Hills, CA (acute liver disease, age 73)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Date from news clips; time unknown
Don Borkowski in Noyl Tyl forum:"I asked Basil Fearrington if he had Ray's data. Basil is African-American, a Grammy-winning sideman and a topnotch professional astrologer. He gave me a time of 11:58 a.m.". source unknown.
Starkman rectified to 10.54.48 CST Asc 8Sag51'
- Traits : Body : Hair (White by his 60's)
- Traits : Body : Race (Black)
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Eyes (blind)
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Liver/Pancreas/Spleen (liver disease)
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Bone (hip replacement)
- Diagnoses : Psychological : Abuse Drugs (Heroin, rehab)
- Family : Childhood : Family traumatic event (blind at age 6, orphaned at 15)
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Twelve)
- Personal : Death : Illness/ Disease (liver disease)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Composer/ Arranger
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Instrumentalist (Piano and vocals)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Jazz (blues)