|born on||8 April 1929 at 03:00 (= 03:00 AM )|
|Place||Schaerbeek, Belgium, 50n51, 4e23|
|Timezone||GMT h0e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||17°48' 25°28 Asc. 09°28'|
Belgian-born French composer, lyricist and singer. He performed in Paris bistros and cabarets from 1953-1967, becoming the leading troubadour in France. Brel wrote over 500 songs, as well as produced and starred in the French version of "Man of La Mancha" and the musical, "Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris," 1968.
The son of a cardboard carton manufacturer, Brel taught himself to play the guitar at 15. Enrolled in Catholic schools, he was an incorrigible mischief-maker and was expelled. He worked in his dad's factory for four years, during which time he wrote songs. After his year of obligatory military service, he went to Paris and began singing his songs in small Left Bank cafes, accompanying himself on the guitar.
His first pro engagement was at a theater in the Pigalle in 1953. Within a year he was taking gigs as second billing, singing of emotions and desires that are thwarted by misunderstandings and pettiness. His popularity grew steadily. Lean, energetic and attractive, he could be taken for a matinee idol, but his touch of the human condition gave him a dimension that was electric. His recordings and performances swept Europe, then America.
He was married and divorced. Outside of songwriting, he has said that his chief interests are "making love and flying my plane."
Brel died on 10/09/1978, Bobigny, France.
- associate relationship with Béart, Guy (born 16 July 1930)
- associate relationship with Dumont, Charles (born 26 March 1929)
- associate relationship with Jouannest, Gérard (born 2 May 1933)
- associate relationship with Molinaro, Eduardo (born 13 May 1928)
- associate relationship with Vallée, Jean (born 2 October 1939)
- business associate/partner relationship with Gabriello, Suzanne (born 24 January 1932). Notes: Duet partner
- friend relationship with Lapointe, Boby (born 16 April 1922)
- lover relationship with Évenou, Danièle (born 21 February 1943). Notes: 18 months
- spouse relationship with Michielsen, Thérèse (born 30 December 1926)
- other kin relationship with Brel, Bruno (born 24 September 1951). Notes: uncle/nephew
- compare to chart of Perk, Jacques (born 10 June 1859). Notes: Brel was inspired by Perk's Mathilde poetry.
- Work : New Career 1953 (Performing in bistros and cabarets)
- Death by Disease 9 October 1978 at 04:10 AM in Bobigny (Pulmonary embolism, age 49)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Luc de Marre quotes B.R.
- Traits : Mind : Education limited (Expelled from school)
- Traits : Personality : Loved by all (Massively popular)
- Lifestyle : Work : Same Job more than 10 yrs (14 years performing in bistros-cabarets)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress
- Vocation : Entertainment : Night Club/ Vaudeville (Noted Revue)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Composer/ Arranger
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Song writer
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Vocalist/ Pop, Rock, etc.
- Vocation : Travel : Pilot/ private (Loves flying)
- Notable : Book Collection : Culture Collection