|Birthname||Bazaine, François Achille|
|born on||13 February 1811 at 12:00 (= 12:00 noon )|
|Place||Versailles, France, 48n48, 2e08|
|Timezone||LMT m2e08 (is local mean time)|
|Astrology data||23°56' 18°42 Asc. 22°40'|
French military man, one of the most tragic figures in military history. An officer of distinguished courage and ability throughout his long, eventful career, he came to utter ruin at the end of his life.
The son of an engineer, he was a youth when his mom died. He enlisted in the army at 19. Transferred to the Foreign Legion, he fought many bloody battle in Algeria, winning promotions. His campaigns continued into the Spanish Civil War, Crimea, the Franco-Austrian War and Mexico in 1862 to aid Maximilian.
A Marshal in the Franco-Prussian War under Chief Commander Napoleon III, who had no realistic strategy, Bazaine was given an impossible task. Battered to defeat 8/06/1870, he retreated and held off the enemy for 54 days in spite of having no reinforcements or support and no food or supplies. Post-war, he was accused of treason, said to have negotiated with the enemy and capitulation before duty and honor. A court inquiry concluded with severe censure. Bazaine demanded either full court-martial or having his name cleared. It became a raging political issue with debate and intrigue. In December 1873, the court sentenced the single-minded, dignified marshal to disgrace and death until the President commuted his sentence to 20 years prison.
Bazaine went to the Mediterranean isles with his young wife and family and they all escaped down the cliffs the night of 8/09/1874.They fled to Italy then Spain where he became a poor but respected citizen. He died in Madrid 9/28/1888.
- Work : Begin Major Project 1862 (War in Mexico)
- Work : End Major Project 6 August 1870 (Withdrew to defeat, held for 54 more days)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Death, Cause unspecified 28 September 1888 at 12:00 noon in Madrid, Spain (Age 77)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Gauquelin Vol 3/150. Also in Geslain archive
- Traits : Personality : Courageous
- Passions : Criminal Perpetrator : Civil/ Political (Accused of treason)
- Passions : Criminal Perpetrator : Prison sentence (Escaped)
- Vocation : Military : Combat (Numerous wars)
- Vocation : Military : Military career (Officer, Marshall)
- Notable : Famous : Newsmaker