|Birthname||Deborrah Kaye Allen|
|born on||16 January 1950 at 21:45 (= 9:45 PM )|
|Place||Houston, Texas, 29n46, 95w22|
|Timezone||CST h6w (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||26°28' 11°27 Asc. 18°33'|
American dancer and actress, younger sister of Phylicia Rashad. Debbie, the more versatile and accomplished sister, began dancing at age five. In 1964 she was the Houston Foundation for Ballet¹s first black dancer. Two years later she was devastated by racism at an audition for the North Carolina School of Arts when a judge told her that her body was not right for classical dancing. Regaining her confidence she graduated in drama and persisted through a number of bleak years until she made her Broadway debut in 1971.
Critical acclaim came in 1980 in the Broadway revival of "West Side Story". A promising role in the film "Fame" was left mostly on the cutting-room floor but she was invited to choreograph and star in the TV series, which aired for six seasons from 1/07/1982. With enviable determination and a formidable work ethic, she dived into 16-hour working days to fulfill her dual role and was later acclaimed in both areas by her peers, winning two Emmys and a Golden Globe. In May 1986 she returned to the stage in a successful revival of Bob Fosse¹s "Sweet Charity." In 1989 Debbie took over as producer-director of "A Different World," motivating the actors to begin early morning workouts before shooting began. Later Allen co-produced a project with Steven Spielberg that she had been pioneering for ten years, "Amistad," released 12/1997.
Allen, brash, feisty and dynamic, has managed to escape being pigeonholed by the media: she has made a mark as an actress, dancer, choreographer, singer, author, producer and director. Her second husband is NBA All-Star guard Norman Nixon and they have two children.
- business associate/partner relationship with Peeples, Nia (born 10 December 1961). Notes: Co-stars on the TV show, "Fame"
- sibling relationship with Rashad, Phylicia (born 19 June 1948)
- (has as) worker relationship with Bonet, Lisa (born 16 November 1967). Notes: Producer/actor, TV series, "A Different World"
- (has as) worker relationship with Guy, Jasmine (born 10 March 1962). Notes: Producer/actor, TV series, "A Different World"
- Misc. : Find something 1964 (First black dancer, Houston Foundation for Ballet)
- Misc. : Lose something 1966 (Loss of confidence due to racism)
- Work : New Career 1971 (Broadway debut)
- Work : Gain social status 1980 (Popularity with noted revival)
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 7 January 1982 (Debut broadcast of TV series, "Fame", six seasons)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
- Work : Published/ Exhibited/ Released 24 September 1987 at 8:30 PM (Debut broadcast of TV series, "A Different World", produced and directed by Allen)
chart Placidus Equal_H.
Frank C. Clifford quotes B.C.
- Traits : Personality : Aggressive/ brash
- Traits : Personality : Personality robust
- Family : Childhood : Order of birth (Second of two girls)
- Family : Childhood : Parents divorced
- Family : Childhood : Sibling circumstances (Older sister noted actress also)
- Family : Relationship : Number of Marriages (Two)
- Family : Parenting : Kids 1-3 (Two)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Actor/ Actress (TV and film)
- Vocation : Entertainment : Live Stage (Broadway)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Dancer/ Teacher (Ballet)
- Vocation : Entertain/Music : Vocalist/ Pop, Rock, etc. (Singer)
- Vocation : Entertain/Business : Director
- Vocation : Entertain/Business : Entertain Producer
- Vocation : Writers : Fiction
- Notable : Awards : Emmy (Two)
- Notable : Awards : Vocational award (One Golden Globe award)