Alice, Princess (1885)
|Birthname||Victoria Alice Elizabeth Julia Marie Battenberg|
|born on||25 February 1885 at 16:40 (= 4:40 PM )|
|Place||Windsor Castle, England, 51n29, 0w36|
|Timezone||GMT h0e (is standard time)|
|Astrology data||07°17' 20°45 Asc. 28°27'|
British-Greek royalty, the granddaughter of Queen Victoria and the eldest daughter of Louis Alexander Mountbatten and Princess Victoria of Hesse. She married Prince Andrew of Greece and Denmark (1882-1994) and became the mother of four daughters and Prince Philip.
When Turkey occupied Greece the year after Philip's birth, Prince Andrew was jailed and marked for execution. Deaf since early childhood but able to communicate in four languages which she had taught herself by reading lips, Princess Alice contacted influential relations around the world begging for help. England's George V responded, sending a warship to Greece to take the royal family to safety. The exiled family settled in France on an estate at St. Cloud, outside of Paris. They were poor but comfortable, thanks to the generosity of Andrew's brother, Prince George, who had married the heiress Princess Marie Bonaparte.
In 1930, Andrew abandoned the family to live with his mistress on her yacht in Monte Carlo. Alice, already emotionally fragile, had a complete breakdown. She was sent to Switzerland to recover and afterwards, became a nun, founding a religious order dedicated to helping the poor. Her four daughter were already married and Philip was sent to boarding school in England. He married Princess Elizabeth on 11/20/1947 and took his mother's surname, Philip Mountbatten.
- parent->child relationship with Margarita, Princess of Greece and Denmark (born 18 April 1905)
- parent->child relationship with Philip, Prince Consort (born 10 June 1921)
- parent->child relationship with Sophie, Princess of Greece and Denmark (born 26 June 1914)
- parent->child relationship with Theodora, Princess of Greece and Denmark (born 13 May 1906)
- child->parent relationship with Victoria, Princess of Hesse and by Rhine (born 5 April 1863)
- sibling relationship with Mountbatten, Lord Louis (born 25 June 1900)
- other kin relationship with Alice, Princess (1843) (born 25 April 1843). Notes: Grandmother
- Relationship : Extramarital Affair 1930 (Andrew left her to live with his mistress)
- Social : Institutionalized - prison, hospital 1930 in Kreuzlingen (Dr Ludwig Binswanger's sanatorium)
Dana Holliday quotes Hugo Vickers, "Alice, Princess Andrew of Greece," in which the data is given on p.3.
Sy Scholfield quotes same data from Queen Victoria's Journals, dated 25 February 1885: "Woke before 7. Hearing that Victoria had had a bad night, I got up & went over to see her. She was very suffering. I had some breakfast, & then went back, remaining with dear Victoria on & off, till, at length, at 20 m. to 5 in the afternoon, the child, a little girl, was born."
- Diagnoses : Body Part Problems : Ears (Deaf from childhood)
- Diagnoses : Psychological : Schizophrenia
- Family : Relationship : Mate - Noted (Prince Andrew of Greece)
- Family : Relationship : Stress - Extramarital affairs
- Family : Parenting : Kids more than 3 (Five kids)
- Family : Parenting : Kids - Noted (Prince Philip)
- Lifestyle : Home : Expatriate (Exiled; moved to France)
- Notable : Famous : Royal family (Britain)